J1 USA - What & WHO
Who can go
on a J1?
J1 Summer Work and Travel USA
What Is The J1?
- It is the Only Legal Route to Work for up to 5 Months in the US during the College Summer Break. You can go up to 3 times!
Who Is Eligible To Apply?
YOU MUST BE A STUDENT…
- Full-time academic day course in a recognised Irish University or College (running at least 2 years full time) that will ultimately lead to a degree or higher qualification
- Returning to either a full-time job (if you are in the final year of your degree or higher course) OR (if in a 2/3 year Cert or Diploma course) returning to full-time education in autumn 2021 for at least one more year of full-time study on your current course in order to ultimately gain a degree or higher qualification.
- Final year students are eligible if you can provide validation of your intention to return to Ireland at the end of your J1 programme
You Don’t Have to Be an Irish Citizen…..
J1 is valid for
- Any nationality studying in Ireland or
- Irish, Northern Ireland Nationals studying in Great Britain or
- Irish Nationals on Erasmus/Socrates abroad or
- Legal permanent resident of Northern Ireland studying in Great Britain
- 18 years of age at time of application or
- 18 years of age by 15th May 2022 (with parental permission on application form)
Been On A US Programme Before?
J1ers can go up to 3 times as long as they fulfill the criteria above.
If you have previously participated on an Intern or Camp Programme to the US, you should apply for the J1 Summer Work Travel as a first timer. If in doubt, give us a shout.
You MUST have an approved seasonal job before your J1-Visa can be issued
We recommend you update your C.V. to a US style “Resume” and start applying to American Employers as soon as possible!