12 Month Graduate Visa for America

12 Month Graduate Visa for America

12 Month Graduate Visa for America

The U.S. ranks among the most developed countries in the world. As a result, people from every walk of life continually seek opportunities to associate themselves with this First World nation. If you’re a graduate or graduate to be, and you are one of those seeking opportunities to sharpen your skills in the U.S., this post is for you!

The one-year U.S. Visa Scheme is designed for students and graduates from Ireland; as well as graduates who have an Irish passport. The scheme allows participants to intern in any of the fifty states in the U.S. for 12 months while enjoying the following benefits:

  1. J-1 grad American Visa for a total of 14 months. Twelve months for an internship, plus one extra month before and after the internship.
  2. An opportunity to gather competition-crushing skills from the American work environment.
  3. You only worry about an internship opportunity when you arrive in the U.S. as you have up to 3 months to find a placement.
  4. Polish your resume with international work experience.
  5. Build ground-breaking networks with people who have succeeded in your career option.

Who Can Apply?

To be able to apply for this scheme, you must:

  1. Be up to 18 years of age at the time of application.
  2. Have a valid Irish Passport
  3. Have been awarded a degree (of not less than two years) from a college or university in Ireland. Awards from schools in Northern Ireland are also acceptable.
  4. Not have spent more than 12 months post-graduation as a graduate.
  5. Be in your final year if you are yet to graduate as a full-time student. You can travel as soon as you complete your degree requirements.

Application Process

Contrary to what you must have heard about getting American visas, this visa program is simple and straightforward. Nevertheless, it can take up to 8 weeks to process your application. So once you are ready to begin (and have factored in this timeframe), all you need to do is:

  • Reach out to Work & Travel to collect the materials for the application.
  • Fill and submit the required forms, and upload necessary documents.
  • After an assessment, and when your application and internship plan has been approved, you will be sent a Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status known as Form DS-2019. This form will only be sent to you when you have made full payment for the program.
  • Fix an interview appointment for a J-1 visa with your consulate or the U.S. Embassy in your country of residence.
  • Get your bags ready for travel!

Application Deadline

You can apply for this program at any time in the year. However, you must return to your country of residence as soon as your visa expires. This program is not for and will also not be considered for permanent employment.

The Documents You Need

  • Form DS-2019, as evidence of permission for you to train/work in the U.S. You’ll receive it upon making full payment and just before you go to a U.S. embassy.
  • A Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) receipt will be issued when you make the SEVIS payment to Work & Travel.
  • An insurance certificate.
  • A passport, valid for not less than six months after the end date of your internship.
  • Customs Declaration, 6095B Form.
  • A letter for Social Security Application.
  • Form I-94 from the website of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection.